Looking for a new web hosting company for your nonprofit website? Finding a reliable, yet affordable hosting provider can be hard.
Don’t worry, we’ve got your covered…
In this article, I will take you through the best web hosting providers for nonprofits.
I will tell you why they are so special and reliable. I will then wrap up the review with a quick buyer’s guide discussing the five factors you need to consider when picking a web hosting company.
Table Of Contents
- Best Options for Web Hosting for Nonprofits
- 5 Factors That You Should Keep In Mind While Choosing a Web Hosting Service:
- Which Web Hosting Option Is the Best for Nonprofits?
Best Options for Web Hosting for Nonprofits
Here is a quick table comparison of the top nonprofit web hosting providers
|Web Hosts||Hosting Type||Uptime||Price Range||Disk Space|
|WPX||WordPress site hosting||99.95%||From $20.83/month||10-40GB|
|Siteground||WordPress, Cloud, WooCommerce, and shared hosting||99.98%||From $3.99/month||10GB-160GB|
|Bluehost||VPS, dedicated, WooCommerce, and shared hosting||99.98%||From $2.95/month||50GB-Unlimited Storage|
|HostGator||Dedicated, WordPress, Shared hosting, and VPS hosting||99.95%||From $2.75/month||120GB- Unmetered|
|A2 Hosting||Shared hosting, WordPress, VPS, Reseller, and Dedicated hosting||99.99%||From $2.99/month||100GB-Unlimited Storage|
|InMotion||Shared hosting, WordPress, VPS, and Dedicated Hosting||99.99%||From $5.99/month||50GB-200GB|
|DreamHost||Shared hosting, VPS, Dedicated, Cloud, and Managed WordPress hosting||99.90%||From $2.95/month||40GB-Unlimited Storage|
|HostPapa||WordPress and VPS hosting||99.90%||From $3.95/month||100GB-Unlimited|
WPX is hands down the best web hosting solution for nonprofits.
The platform boasts industry-leading features that will help you deliver the best user experience to your website visitors. Most of these features are also available in the cheapest WPX paid plan.
- Fast Loading Speeds: WPX has one of the fastest loading speeds of any web hosting provider. Even for the most technical websites, WPX delivers impressive loading times of under 2 seconds.
- Excellent Security: Every nonprofit website needs top-notch security. After all, you may need people to enter their personal details on the website. WPX comes with powerful security features to safeguard your website. It provides free SSL certificates, automated backups, free malware scanning & clean-ups, and more.
- Great Customer Support: Another department WPX remains unbeatable is customer support. The web hosting provider has a highly responsive customer service team. The support staff is also available round the clock, so you can reach them at any time of the day regardless of your time zone.
- User Friendly: WPX has a user-friendly interface. It makes nonprofit site management really easy, even for “non-tech-savvy” users.
Get 90% off the first month with coupon DIGGITY90.
Siteground offers various hosting plans, including a managed WordPress hosting service. The managed hosting service is good for nonprofit sites since it will take the burden of website maintenance off your shoulders.
Find out what is managed hosting and how it can be beneficial for you.
- Great Uptime And Page Load Times: Siteground maintains an uptime of 99.8% over 12 months which is very impressive. It also provides incredible page load times that will boost your performance on the SERPs.
- First-class Customer Service: The customer support team at Siteground is highly knowledgeable and always eager to help. They are available round the clock as well.
- Free Website Migration: Through WordPress Migrator Plugin, you can transfer your website to Siteground for free. Siteground experts can also do the website migration for you. However, they do charge migration service fees which start at $30 per website.
- Seamless Collaboration: SiteGround lets you add multiple collaborators to your website. For example, it allows you to create separate accounts for designers, developers, or other users. They’ll get access to the specific site tools they need to perform their tasks. But, you will still retain full control of your nonprofit site as the owner.
Our link gives 60% off your first plan.
Bluehost is a pretty popular web hosting company for nonprofits. They used to be a free hosting provider for nonprofits but discontinued the program some time back. However, the great features that make the provider so popular are still available.
- Superb Uptime: The web hosting provider is well known for consistently maintaining great uptime stats. That means you can always rely on the company to keep your website running throughout the year.
- Solid Site Speeds: While not the fastest web host, BlueHost page load times are still within the recommended range. Therefore, unless you have some plugins or other issues tampering with your website’s performance, you shouldn’t experience any severe site speed issues.
- Easy-To-Use: BlueHost is very beginner-friendly. It has an intuitive cPanel, and its integration with WordPress is seamless.
- Free Site Builders: The web hosting provider has an inbuilt drag-and-drop website builder.
Our link gives 63% off your first plan.
Hostgator is among the cheap hosting providers on the market today. The hosting plans start at just $2.75. Renewal prices are also fairly reasonable. The cheapest hosting plan renews for just $6.95 per month, for instance.
Prices aside, Hostgator also packs decent features that most nonprofits will find useful.
- Decent Loading Speeds: Hostgator loading speeds range between 22 and 940ms depending on factors like traffic and browser’s location. That’s a decent range for the most part.
- Uptime Guarantee: Hostgator doesn’t just claim to have reliable uptimes; they actually stand behind their word with a 99% uptime guarantee. That’s on top of the 45-day money-back guarantee.
- Unlimited Bandwidth: Hostgator does not cap the amount of traffic you can drive to your website. The bandwidth remains unmetered across all plans.
5. A2 Hosting
A2 Hosting provides decent managed and shared WordPress hosting features at competitive prices. They also have specific discounts for nonprofit websites.
To get the discounts, open a ticket with the customer service team and provide documentation proving your status as a nonprofit.
A2 Hosting Features
- Fast Loading Times: A2 delivers optimal page load times in various ways. They provide Cloudflare CDN and unlimited SSD transfers to optimize site speed.
- Seamless Integration With Other Platforms: A2 Hosting is compatible with WordPress, Magento, Drupal, and other platforms. The seamless integration makes it really easy to optimize your website’s performance.
- Carbon Neutral Status: You may be delighted to know that A2 aims to reduce carbon footprint with “green hosting.” The platform partners with Carbon Fund to purchase carbon offsets.
- Server Location: A2 Hosting has data centers in the US, Europe, and Asia. That’s more than enough for most organizations. However, if your nonprofit operates in a place like Africa, you’ll probably have to find another hosting company.
InMotion provides shared hosting, WordPress, VPS, and dedicated hosting services. Shared hosting packages are the cheapest starting at around $5.99/month.
The cheapest plan also comes with many features and freebies, including free SSL and domain, unlimited bandwidth, and 50GB SSD storage.
For better protection and overall performance, consider managed VPS hosting. It’s more expensive but worth the price, especially for bigger nonprofits.
- Fast Loading Times: InMotion uses SSDs to increase site speed by up to 20 times.
- Excellent Security: All plans come with free SSL, automatic daily backups, DDoS protection, and hacks & malware monitoring.
- Free Email Addresses: Even the cheapest plan gets ten email addresses which should be enough for small to medium nonprofits.
Dreamhost is a reliable web hosting provider with free web hosting for nonprofits. You have to be a US-based nonprofit organization, though.
The company also extends a 35% discount on managed DreamPress hosting to nonprofits.
- Reliable Security: With multi-factor authentication, Let’s Encrypt SSL, and auto-enabled SFTP, Dreamhost is more than capable of keeping your website secure.
- Free Site Migration: Use the Dreamhost automated migration plugin to move your WordPress website to Dreamhost for free.
- Automated Installation: Dreamhost offers 1-click installation for CMS platforms like WordPress and Joomla.
Check out our article where we compared the features of Hostgator vs Dreamhost.
Last on our list is the eco-conscious web hosting platform HostPapa. The company uses 100% renewable energy.
Besides their corporate responsibilities, HostPapa is also very reliable as a web host.
- Proactive Security Measures: HostPapa includes robust security features on all plans, including the cheapest starter package. It provides Let’s Encrypt SSL, DDoS prevention, server monitoring & intrusion detection, and more.
- 99.97% Uptime Guarantee: The web hosting company boasts outstanding uptime records of above 99.7%.
- Free Website and Domain Transfer: HostPapa experts will help you transfer both your website and domain for free.
Our link gives 70% off.
5 Factors That You Should Keep In Mind While Choosing a Web Hosting Service:
The performance of web hosting services varies greatly as you move from one provider to the next.
It’s, therefore, critical that you pick the right platform lest you end up with website performance issues. Here’s what you need to consider:
Google reported that site speed is a ranking factor meaning websites with the fastest page load times are more likely to rank higher in the SERPs. Moreover, fast site speed enhances the overall user experience hence reducing bounce rates.
Various factors influence website speed, and hosting is one of them. The best web hosting companies ensure website speeds are optimized. They achieve this with various techniques, including content delivery networks (CDN) and solid-state drive (SSDs) storage.
WPX web host, for instance, uses the WPX CDN integration to cache website content in various locations around the world. This ensures the content is retrieved quickly when users in those areas try to access the content.
Pick a website hosting provider with the necessary infrastructure to ensure page load times are optimized at all times.
2. Customer Response
Customer support is another critical element you don’t want to compromise on.
Running and maintaining a website comes with tons of challenges. Unfortunately, some of these challenges can cripple a company’s online activities.
That’s particularly the case for companies with no in-house IT experts to anticipate and handle the issues. Most nonprofits fall under this category.
To avoid such issues, you have to partner with a web hosting company with remarkable customer support.
First, they should be available round the clock. The internet never sleeps, and neither should your website. So find a company with reliable customer care that you can reach whenever an issue arises.
Second, ensure there are multiple channels of communication. Email and live chat support are pretty standard but try as much as possible to get a provider with phone support as well.
Having a direct line can come in very handy, especially during emergencies.
Finally, make sure the customer support team is super responsive. The last thing you want is to be waiting an hour to get in touch with a representative when your website is down.
3. Bandwidth and Storage
Bandwidth determines how much traffic your website can handle. A higher bandwidth allows you to accommodate more traffic efficiently.
Meanwhile, storage impacts the amount of data or content your website can hold.
As a nonprofit, chances are you’ll want to post images on your website showing the progress of your charity work. Perhaps some videos as well. Having sufficient storage to do so is important.
Bandwidth and storage usually appear as less of a priority to smaller and new nonprofits. There’s still not a lot of content to share after all.
However, you have to think long-term. As your nonprofit grows, your needs will increase.
Therefore, you want a web hosting service that provides sufficient room for scalability, i.e., competitive premium packages with sufficient bandwidth and storage retailing at decent prices.
Constant downtimes can cripple your operations and reputation. How will your target audience interact with you if the website is always down? How will donors and other partners see your work if they can’t even access your website?
You have to get a web host service with the highest uptimes possible. That means 99.95% of uptime or more.
A good web hosting company offers strategic packages that grow with your organization. For example, if your nonprofit is relatively new, you can make do with capped bandwidth.
However, as the organization grows and the traffic increases, you will require more bandwidth to deliver an optimal user experience. The best web hosting companies will provide the right packages to smoothen this transition for you.
Therefore, when picking a web host, think beyond your immediate needs. Look at the top-tier packages and see if they align with your future needs as well.
Which Web Hosting Option Is the Best for Nonprofits?
This article explored the top eight nonprofit web hosting plans. We looked at WPX, SiteGround, BlueHost, HostGator, InMotion, DreamHost, and HostPapa. Each provider has something unique to offer.
However, WPX is the overall winner of the best web hosting providers for nonprofits. The provider has all the critical features you need in a web hosting company.
These include fast load times, excellent security, responsive customer support, an easy-to-use dashboard, and so on.
The company also offers plenty of quality freebies that you cannot get from other nonprofit hosting providers. For example, you get unlimited site migrations, free malware scanning & removal, DDoS protection, PHP7.X, staging areas, etc.
WPX stands behind its product, too, with a 30-day money-back guarantee and a 95.5% uptime guarantee.
(90% off the first month with coupon DIGGITY90)