Are you curious about WordPress but not sure if it’s the right platform for you.
Or maybe you are a developer who wants to test WordPress plugins or themes before using them on a live site?
In either case, this guide is for you!
We have more than 10 years of experience in creating WordPress websites.
Over these years, we have learned multiple ways to create free WordPress sites that not only act as a testing ground but also double up as an excellent demonstration and portfolio sites.
And in this article, we will share with you the 5 best ways to try WordPress Sites for Free.
All you need is a computer and a few minutes of your time, and you’ll be up and running in no time!
So without further ado, let’s get started!
Table Of Contents
- Why Do People Prefer WORDPRESS?
- 5 Ways to Test WordPress Site for Free
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Why Do People Prefer WORDPRESS?
As we speak, there are over 455 million websites powered by WordPress.
That’s about 40% of all websites on the internet! And the number is growing every day.
There are many reasons why WordPress is so popular.
First, it’s open-source software, which means that the code is freely available for anyone to use and customize in any way they want.
This attracts a huge community of developers who are constantly improving WordPress and making tools to make your life easier.
In fact, there are over 60,000 plugins on WordPress right now that you can use to add any functionality you need to your site.
From contact forms to social media integrations, there is a plugin for almost everything.
Second, WordPress is extremely user-friendly.
You don’t need any coding experience to use WordPress.
All you need to do is install it, and you can start creating content right away.
You don’t even need to build a website from scratch!
There are thousands of themes available for WordPress, which you can use to create a beautiful website in minutes.
Finally, it’s free to use.
You can download WordPress for free.
However, if you want to create a website, you will need to invest in web hosting (a computer that saves your website’s files and allow users to access it) and a domain name (the internet address of your website, so people can know where to find it.)
But don’t worry, all the methods listed below will provide you with both of these things for free!
5 Ways to Test WordPress Site for Free
1. Download and Install WordPress on Your Computer
The easiest way to create a WordPress test site is by using WordPress.com.
This is a service provided by the team behind WordPress that allows you to create a site in less than 5 minutes.
It doesn’t have all the features of a self-hosted WordPress website, but it’s perfect for testing out the basics.
Plus, it’s completely free!
Here is how you can sign up for a free account:
- Go to WordPress.com
- Click Get Started
- Choose a domain name for your website. Just enter the website name you want, scroll down, and select the free one.
- After that, you will be directed to another page, under Choose a plan, click on start with a free site.
- On the What are your goals page, select the goals for your website and click Continue.
- On the next page, you will be asked to choose a category that defines your website, choose the one that is most relevant and click Continue.
- Give your blog a name and a tag line, this step is optional, so just click Continue and move on.
- You will be asked whether you want to Draft your first post, Watch blogging videos to learn about blogging or Choose a design. If you don’t want to do any of that now, just click Skip to the dashboard at the top right corner.
- You will be redirected to your WordPress dashboard. And that’s it! You have successfully created a WordPress test site on WordPress.com
2. Get Free Hosting
There is a number of websites that offer free web hosting, and you can use them to create your WordPress test site.
To be honest, they don’t have the best uptime or customer support and they are quite slow.
However, they are good for testing purposes.
The best thing about them is that they have similar interfaces as paid hosting, so you not only get to test WordPress, but also get familiar with the hosting environment.
000Webhost has been around since 2007 and offers a wide range of features, including 3GB SSD storage, 300 MB bandwidth, and the free Zyro website builder that have over 130 customizable templates.
They also give you a free subdomain to build your website on.
Here’s how to join 000Webhost:
- Go to 000Webhost
- Click on Get Started
- Click on Free Sign Up
- Enter your Email and password you wish to sign up with or simply sign up using your Google, or FaceBook account
- You get the option to Click on Let’s Create Some Magic, where you can start creating your first website, choose a new WordPress theme, etc., or to go directly the panel
- We recommend the first option for beginners as it’s more straightforward. Just follow the steps and you will have your WordPress test site live in a few minutes
To learn more about free web hosting and the options available to you read our guide How to Get Free Web Hosting in 2022.
3. Choose Hosting That Offers Refunds
Most hosting providers offer a money-back guarantee, which means that you can try their service for a certain period and get your money back if you’re not satisfied.
This is a great way to try out different hosting providers and find the one that suits your needs without risking any money.
But since there is a time limit, I recommend that you build your WordPress website with one of the previous methods, then migrate it to a paid web hosting provider to test the website speed and do the necessary optimizations.
You can use a WordPress plugin like Duplicator or All-in-One WP Migration to easily migrate your website.
From our experience, the best WordPress hosting service that offers refunds today is WPX hosting.
WPX hosting specializes in managed WordPress hosting, which means that they simply optimized their servers to maximize WordPress performance.
They are also one of the few web hosting providers that offer 24/hour chat support and have a 30-day money-back guarantee.
So you can join, build your new site, and if you’re not satisfied you can always get your money back.
4. Download and Install WordPress On Your Computer
If you want to have more control over your WordPress test site and don’t mind spending a little time setting it up, then you can install WordPress locally on your own computer.
This method uses your computer as the web server, so it’s perfect for testing new features, experimenting with a new theme or plugin, or even building your website offline before taking it live.
Here is how you can set up a WordPress test site on windows:
- Go to WAMP and click Start Using Wamp Server
- Choose to download WampServer 32 bit or WampServer 64 bit, depending on your operating system
- After the software is downloaded, launch the installation file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Create a new MySQL database with phpMyAdmin
- In the login screen write “root” in the Username field and leave the password blank. Then, click Go
- Click on Databases, enter a name for your database in the “Create database” field and click Create. In this example, we named our database “mydb”
- Go to WordPress, click Get WordPress, and download WordPress
- WordPress will be downloaded as a .zip file, extract it
- Copy the extracted folder (WordPress) and paste it where you installed WampServer. We renamed it to “WordPress test site”
- The folder name will be your website’s address (URL,) so rename it if you want
- Now, open your browser and go to “http://localhost/wordpresstestsite”. Obviously, you will replace “wordpresstestsite” with your folder name
- Follow the on-screen instructions to complete the WordPress installation. You will be asked to enter your database name (mydb), database username (root), and password (leave it empty.)
- Click on Run the installation
- Name your WordPress test site, then create a username and password for the WordPress administrator account
- Click on Install WordPress
- Click on Log In, and enter your WordPress login credentials
- Congratulations! You have successfully installed WordPress on your computer.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQS)
Can I Try Out WordPress for Free?
You can try out WordPress for free.
There are a few different ways to do this, but the most common is to use WordPress.com.
Can You Practice WordPress Without a Domain?
You can practice WordPress without a domain. Most web hosting providers offer a free subdomain, such as “yourdomain.wordpress.com” that you can use to test out WordPress.
Can I Practice WordPress Offline?
You can practice WordPress offline by downloading and installing WordPress on your computer.
How Do I Create a Dummy for My WordPress Site?
You can create a dummy for your WordPress site by downloading your website’s content and uploading it to one of the free hosting sites mentioned in this article.
Trying out WordPress before committing to a paid hosting plan is a great way to see if it’s the right fit for you.
As promised, in this article, we showed you 4 different ways to try out WordPress for free.
Each of these methods works really well and it’s up to you to decide which one is best for you.