What Is Uptime And How Does It Affect Your Website?

What Is Uptime Featured Image

Uptime is the ratio of time that a server, system, or website is operational compared to the total amount of time it COULD be operational.

For example, if a website has an uptime of 99%, that means it was successfully operational 99% of the time in a given period.

While uptime is a computer industry term that is often used in reference to servers, it can also apply to other systems, like power grids or manufacturing plants.

In this article, we’ll focus on uptime as it relates to websites.

What Does Uptime Mean?

To understand computer system uptime, it’s helpful to first understand how a website or app is hosted on a server.

Uptime

When you create a website, you’re essentially creating a bunch of files that need to be stored somewhere.

That somewhere is called a server, which is simply a powerful computer.

When someone wants to view your website, they are basically requesting to see those files.

And upon receiving that request, the server sends those files to the person who requested them, and voilà, your website appears in their browser.

Viewing Uptime

Now, uptime is simply a measure of how often that process is successful.
In other words, it’s a measure of how often your website is available to visitors.

It’s usually expressed as a percentage, like 99%, which means that your website was operational 99% of the time in a period. The other 1% of the period would be downtime, which is when the site is inaccessible due to maintenance or technical issues.

How To Calculate Uptime?

Uptime is calculated by taking the amount of time your website was operational and dividing it by the time frame (absolute value), then multiplying the result by 100 to get a percentage.

Uptime Calculation

Uptime = (Operational Time / Time Frame) * 100

For example, if your website was operational for 500 hours during a period of 3 weeks (504 hours), your uptime would be:

Uptime = (500 / 504) * 100 = 99.2%

Frequently Asks Questions (FAQ)

1. What Is The Service Level Agreement Uptime Ratio?

The service level agreement (SLA) uptime ratio is the system’s uptime percentage that’s guaranteed by your hosting company.

Uptime SLA

Your SLA or any other real-time service contract will contain information about the uptime percentage you can expect from your provider.

2. What Is Uptime Guarantee?

An uptime guarantee is simply a promise from your hosting service company that your website will have a certain uptime percentage.

3. What Is Normal Uptime For A Site?

A normal uptime for a site is typically around 99.9%.

Uptime-99
While the most famous standard is five 9s, or 99.999%, which equals about five minutes of downtime per year.

4. What Is System Uptime In Manufacturing?

Uptime in manufacturing is the ratio of time that a manufacturing plant is operational compared to the total time it could be operational.

For example, if a manufacturing plant has an uptime of 90%, that means it remains operational for 90% of the time in a given period.

5. What Is Uptime Robot?

Uptime Robot

Uptime Robot is a free monitoring service that helps you keep track of your website’s uptime. It monitors your site and alerts you if it goes down.

6. What Is Machine Uptime?

Machine uptime is the ratio of time that a machine is operational compared to the total time it could be operational.

7. What Does Uptime Mean In Task Manager?

The uptime in Task Manager is the amount of time that your computer has been running since it was last turned on.

8. What Is Uptime Twitch?

Uptime Twitch is the amount of time that a Twitch channel has been live for.

Conclusion

Uptime is extremely important because if your website is down, people cannot view your content or use your services, which will lead to a loss in traffic and revenue.

If you’re looking for a reliable hosting service with high availability, we strongly recommend checking Siteground.

They don’t only offer a 99.999% uptime guarantee, but they also offer 24/7 customer support in case you ever do experience any issues.

For more information about web hosting visit our guide Everything You Need To Know About Web Hosting: Explained.

Matt-Author-Img

Article by

Matt Diggity

Matt is the founder of Diggity Marketing, LeadSpring, The Search Initiative, The Affiliate Lab, and the Chiang Mai SEO Conference. He actually does SEO too.

Want to rank easier, higher and faster?

Sign up and join 30,000+ other subscribers and get SEO test results sent straight to your inbox.

moz sidebar

"One of the most effective SEOs I've ever met"- Cyrus Sheppard

As Seen On...

Search Engine Journal
New York Post
ahrefs brand