When you’re looking for hosting, two names consistently pop up; Hostgator and Bluehost.
Hundreds of influential bloggers across various niches promote Bluehost because they provide cheap, reliable website hosting services. Those two factors, “cheap and reliable,” are important considerations for anyone starting a new website.
While Bluehost is great, it might not be for you. And that’s fine.
There are plenty of amazing Bluehost alternatives. I want to cover them in more detail.
I will start by reviewing the company’s pros and cons. Then, you can review a shortlist of the five best Bluehost alternatives.
Table Of Contents
What’s the Problem With Bluehost, Anyway?
Bluehost is the largest hosting company in the world.
Endurance International owns Bluehost. If you’re not familiar with Endurance International, you’ll know many of their brands. Endurance International owns Hostgator.com, Domain.com, alongside other domain and web hosting services.
Endurance International has managed to grow so fast, and the companies under the holding group are market leaders because they understand what the market wants; cheap reliable hosting.
Their business model, which relies on economies of scale, allows Bluehost to provide a cheaper service than most competitors. That is what most first-time webmasters want.
There is a trade-off.
Many people who have a plan with a company like Bluehost or Hostgator will realize that cheap services come with a catch. For example, the customer service is poor.
Well, actually bad, according to 66% of the 1,083 people who left a review on Trustpilot.
If you have an issue, you will often have to wait for 20-30 minutes to talk with a representative. That can feel like a lifetime when you have an urgent issue that you want to resolve immediately.
To compound problems, many Bluehost support agents lack the technical knowledge needed to resolve your issue directly. That leaves you having to follow up with their team to get updates on progress and find a solution to your issues.
There are other problems with Bluehost.
Bluehost will charge you for many support issues. For example, you need to pay for a backup if you have a problem with your website.
The “unlimited hosting”, which is an option available for the Shared packages of Plus hosting and above, also has limits. You need to read the Terms of Service to discover those limitations. Not surprising given that their unlimited WordPress hosting costs around five dollars a month.
Finally, you have the issue of server speed. You want to reduce the server response time as much as possible.
Bluehost is not the fastest hosting provider. Many Bluehost alternatives offer a faster service.
A slow loading speed is a major issue for any webmaster. Visitors to your website expect the page to load in their browser. If the page doesn’t load fast, people leave the website. There’s a direct correlation between page speed and bounce rate. You also want high uptime.
Moreover, page speed is an important ranking factor in the SERPS. A slow site will impact your search positions. A website that frequently goes down will further harm your rankings.
For all the problems, Bluehost is a good company. They offer a wide range of hosting plans. Bluehost offers WordPress hosting, VPS hosting, and more. They also have a beginner-friendly drag and drop builder you can use if you choose.
If you are looking for a cheap hosting service, then a company like Bluehost or Hostgator might fit your needs. However, if you want more from your hosting provider, like attentive customer support and faster site speeds, then you need to consider one of the top Bluehost alternatives.
What Should You Look for in a Hosting Provider?
There are various things to consider when selecting a Bluehost alternative. Here are six crucial factors to consider when choosing a hosting company:
Your site needs to load fast. Ideally, it should load in 2 seconds or less. Good hosting platforms understand the importance of a fast load time. They invest in cutting-edge servers and update aging equipment.
The hosting provider you choose should have robust firewalls to ward off attacks. They should also have additional security measures and add-ons to enhance your website’s security.
Your hosting provider should do regular backups, either daily or weekly. If your WordPress site is hacked, you’ll need access to these backups ASAP.
Customer support is really important. When a problem arises on your website, you want the problem solved immediately. You need to choose a hosting company that provides fast support regardless of the time of day.
Just as importantly, the agents should resolve most of your issues on the first contact. That means the agents need to be experts in platforms like WordPress, which is used by so many businesses and website owners.
A good web host must be able to accommodate the growing needs of your website. If your site traffic increases, you need more bandwidth. As you add more content to your website, you’ll need more memory.
You need a Bluehost alternative who can handle the growing needs of your business. The cost of upgrading your service should be fair and affordable, so look at the pricing tiers. You don’t want to deal with huge jumps in hosting costs.
Your hosting costs need to be affordable and fair for the service they provide. Choose a good web host that offers excellent features at a reasonable price.
Type of Hosting Environment
There are a variety of web hosting options available. Common packages include shared hosting, WordPress hosting, and VPS hosting. You should look for dedicated hosting, which offers faster load speed than shared packages.
What Are the Best Bluehost Alternatives?
|Price Range||Hosting Type Offered||Storage||Load Time Score||Uptime||Support Score|
|WPX||$24.99 - $99||Specializes in WordPress hosting. But I have run custom sites on their servers without issue.||10GB - 40GB||5||99.99%||5.0|
|Siteground||$6.99 - $13.99||Shared hosting, WordPress hosting, Woocommerce hosting, |
|10GB - 40GB||4.5||99.99%||4.9|
|HostPapa||$3.95 - $20||Shared and Virtual Private Server (VPS) hosting||50GB - 200GB||4.7||99.99%||4.8|
|InMotion||From $5.99||Shared hosting,|
Dedicated server hosting
|10GB - 50GB||4.5||99.99%||4.7|
|Hostinger||$0.99 - $29.95||Shared hosting,|
VPS hosting, Managed
|10GB - 100GB||4.8||99.74%||4.7|
Here is a shortlist of the top Bluehost alternatives. You can easily compare the differences between the hosting options.
Of course, there are lots of other great Bluehost alternatives on the market. Options include Hostgator, Fastcomet, WP Engine, A2 Hosting, GreenGeeks, Dreamhost, and GoDaddy. The options listed in the table above, though, are my favorites.
Let’s examine each in detail:
WPX provides specialized WordPress hosting services. The company is known for providing very fast loading speeds and great customer service. Let’s touch on each of these factors quickly.
Great customer support is important for any service business. WPX has a 30-second average customer response time. There are always agents online to deal with your queries. Importantly, these agents can resolve most of your WordPress hosting-related queries within a few minutes of you inquiring, which is great if your site has been hacked and you want the issue resolved fast.
Then you have the load times. The average load time on WPX servers is 357 ms. That’s faster than most Bluehost alternatives.
WPX has also invested in a global Content Delivery Network named WPX Cloud CDN for their WordPress users. Access to the CDN is free for WPX customers.
With WPX, you get to choose from three monthly billing options: Business, Professional, and Elite. The business plan starts at just over $20. The professional plan is around $40, while the elite plan is over $80 a month. That might sound expensive, but it’s excellent value for money.
- WPX Cloud: The Content Delivery Network was developed in-house by the WPX team. The CDN ensures that your site loads fast wherever visitors are based. A fast load time can translate into improved search rankings and user experience.
- Testing Area: The process of navigating the WPX dashboard is easy. There is a testing area where you can make changes to your website and run experiments. The testing area is great for testing changes to your WordPress User Interface before going live.
- Modern Servers: WPX invests in modern servers. That investment ensures you’ll always have one of the fastest loading WordPress sites on the net.
Why WPX is better than Bluehost
- WPX hosting offers free daily backups. Bluehost offers free weekly backups. You need to pay extra for daily backups. You also need to pay for a website restore with Bluehost.
- Faster Servers: Your website will load faster on WPX hosting, and the uptime is higher.
- WPX offers 30 seconds response time. Bluehost support takes A LOT longer to respond to inquiries, and fewer inquiries are resolved the first time.
WPX is one of the best WordPress hosting providers and perfect for hosting WooCommerce sites. You can try their service out with 90% off the first month using the coupon code DIGGITY90.
SiteGround is one of the best web hosting providers. They provide cloud hosting, WordPress hosting, and WooCommerce hosting.
With SiteGround, you get free WordPress migration, automatic upgrades, 24/7 customer service, daily backups, and free SSL certificates.
There is a range of hosting plans. The cheapest plan is just over $5 per month for up to 10,000 visitors a month and 10GB of storage.
- Great Security: SiteGround has invested heavily in providing you with safe, secure hosting. The security features include a firewall that will secure you against most hacking attempts. Meanwhile, daily backups are available if you need to restore your site.
- Free Site Migration: The process of migrating your site to SiteGround is straightforward. Just install the free website migration plugin and follow the steps.
- Intuitive Dashboard: SiteGround has a user-friendly dashboard allowing you to deal with any issues quickly and efficiently. They also have a testing area users can access. One reason you might use the testing area is to review changes to your WordPress site before pushing them live.
SiteGround vs. Bluehost
- SiteGround has an easy-to-navigate dashboard with no upsells or promotions. Bluehost, on the other hand, will advertise to you through your dashboard.
- SiteGround provides free daily backups, plus they keep the data for up to thirty days. With Bluehost, you need to pay for daily backups.
- SiteGround provides better customer service than Bluehost. Agents respond quickly to inquiries on their chat and phone lines.
SiteGround is definitely better that Bluehost in all terms. Not only that, but also it’s one of the best web hosting companies. You can try their service out with 60% off by clicking through the link below.
HostPapa is one of the leading domain registrars in the world. They also offer great web hosting with WordPress hosting, VPS hosting, reseller hosting, and more. They provide hosting for more than 200,000 websites.
One thing that makes HostPapa stand out with customers is their environmentally responsible agenda. For example, in 2011, they planted 100,000 trees in Africa to promote afforestation.
- Free Domain Name: One of the great features of HostPapa is that you receive a free domain name as a new user. Customers also get an SSL certificate with each domain.
- Site Builder: HostPapa has a site builder that you can use to create your website.
Why HostPapa is better than Bluehost
- The HostPapa and Bluehost hosting options have similar pricing plans. However, HostPapa offers more features on the VPS and shared hosting plans.
HostPapa is an excellent firm. You can try their service out with 70% off by clicking through the link below.
InMotion has over 300,000 customers with two data centers in Los Angeles and Virginia. They offer unlimited bandwidth, a free website builder, and a 90-day money-back guarantee. Hosting plans include Shared, WordPress, VPS, and Dedicated Servers.
With various options such as live chat, phone, and email, their user support is quite impressive. InMotion’s pricing plans start from around $6 per month for shared hosting and up to around $60 per month for dedicated servers.
- Multiple Support Channels: User support is available around the clock. You can reach their support agents via phone, live chat, email, and even skype.
- Good Servers: Pages load quickly from InMotion servers. However, it is not as fast as some Bluehost alternatives with similar pricing options.
InMotion vs. Bluehost
- With a 90-day money-back guarantee, InMotion has a better policy in place than Bluehost.
InMotion Hosting is a great company with competitive packages. Click on the link to find out more about their service.
Currently, Hostinger is one of the biggest hosting companies. It has about 29 million users worldwide. The large user base allows the company to benefit from economies of scale.
The hosting packages are cheap. You can join the Hostinger family for as little as one dollar a month. The business has a global presence with servers in 178 countries, meaning your site should always load fast.
- Fast Servers: Hostinger has invested heavily in its data centers. They can offer page load times of as little as 345 ms. That will reduce your website bounce rate.
- Website Builder: You get access to a free website builder.
Bluehost vs. Hostinger
- Hostinger plans are generally cheaper than comparable Bluehost plans. If you’re looking for alternatives to Bluehost, you can save money on Hostinger.
- Hostinger generally has faster load times than Bluehost.
If you are looking for a great web hosting provider, you should consider Hostinger. They offer a cheap reliable hosting service. Click on the link to find out more about their service.
Choose Hosting You Can Trust
This article explored five of the best Bluehost alternatives for site owners: WPX, Hostinger, Inmotion, Hostpapa, and Siteground. Each hosting provider on the list has its unique strengths and benefits.
The best Bluehost alternative is WPX, especially if you have a WordPress website. They provide everything that you would hope for from a hosting business. When you sign up with WPX, you’ll get a site that loads quickly and is always accessible.
With WPX hosting, you also get access to lots of free features. For example, you can access the WPX CDN, a custom-built platform that was created to ensure your site loads fast anywhere in the world.
Moreover, their trained customer support staff can help solve your issues fast. That quick support is really important when you have a major problem with your site – for example, it’s been hacked, and you need to load a backup version of your site, or you need a virus to be removed.
You can try WPX risk-free for the first month with the 90% off coupon DIGGITY90.